A little peek in to what it's like being the Momma of three Wild Watson's!

Friday, September 05, 2008

"Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World"

I have been reading this book by Joanna Weaver, and I just can't put it down. I really feel like God is speaking to me with each new chapter that I read. I'm so excited too because I just found out that our church is having a Bible study using this book and I can go because the kiddos are in school!!

Anyways, I really liked this part because I feel like God has been calling me out of my comfort zone for quite some time now!
"Are we willing to let God explode our comfort zone and expand our capacity for Him? Or do we want a God we can manage? Unfortunately, a lot of the time that is exactly what we want - enough of God to make us happy, but not enough to make us change. We'd never say it, but our attitude is just what Wilbur Rees had in mind when he wrote:

I would like to buy $3 worth of God, please, not enough to explode my soul or disturb my sleep, but just enough to equal a cup of warm milk or a snooze in the sunshine. I don't want enough of Him to make me love a black man or pick beets with a migrant. I want ecstasy, not transformation; I want the warmth of the womb, not a new birth. I want a pound of the Eternal in a paper sack. I would like to buy $3 worth of God, please."

It scares me to think of leaving a place of comfort for the unknown. My life may not be trouble free, but I think that my relationship with God has always been a comfortable thing. But I know that if I can keep Him at the center of things then all will be ok...more than ok!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I definitely want to read that book! I know exactly how you feel. I lose my focus sometimes and forget that my life on earth (just a milli-second in light of all eternity) is supposed to be focused on worshipping God, drawing near to Him, and helping others draw near to Him as well. That is a very difficult thing sometimes when the status-quo of so many of us is cleaning house, taking kids here and there, grocery-shopping, squeezing in a trip to the hair salon etc. Not that there's anything wrong with all of that, but there is more to focus on!

I'm glad you wrote that post!

About Me

My photo
Southern California, United States
I'm a Christ follower, Wife, Mom, photographer and all kinds of other random things!